Thursday 16 February 2012

Sore fingers

Here's another blow-by-blow (ahem) photo diary of the card I made today.
You may be getting bored with the brown card blanks but  I really like them -simple and chic.
Anyhow, I wanted to create a flower card for my aunt's birthday at the beginning of next month so I took this as inspiration:







1.  Using the same principals as yesterday, I first sketched the line for the bottom, using a ruler (yesterday's clouds were a little on the wonk.)
2.  Then I poked holes into the cards at about 5mm intervals.

 3.  After this, I sewed a deep green embroidery thread along and then up the stems.
 4.  Then I poked more holes in the places for the flowers.  I decided to go for a different type of flower - more of a mustard seed type (I thought it would be easier because my girly fingers were smarting).  In hindsight, I should have stuck to the prettier and more conventional style of the original, but heigh ho.
5.  I used french knots for the 'seed' heads.  This is what it looked like:
 Yeah, I know...




6 So, I added a few more threads to the flowers to see it I could rectify it which improved it - slightly.

My aunt will like it but I wouldn't call it a polished finish or design AND by the end of it I'd had enough of sewing onto the card.  It took ages to do and was hard on the fingers.  Maybe bigger holes are called for, although I wouldn't like a gap between the stitch and card; hmmm, tricky.

There were a few other things which frustrated me: The room was hot and my sweaty hands made gripping the needle and pushing it through the card laborious and annoying. Similarly, gripping the card while sewing with moist hands meant that the edge of the card became a bit lumpy when it became damp. Also, I learnt the hard way to keep your hands clean while working with white thread as one of the french knots had a smudge of Pepsi by the end (that received a growl of discontent).

Anyhow, there it is,
Tinkety Tonk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about the things I share and I will aim to reply.